Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Twenty Questions For Jack O'Brien

20Qatx returns this month with home-grown front man, Jack O’Brien. If you live in Austin it’s almost impossible to have never heard the words THE BRIGHT LIGHT SOCIAL HOUR.  After graduating from Westlake High, Jack attended Southwestern University where he met Curtis Roush and the TBLSH story began. After nearly six years working the Austin music scene, the guys walked away with six trophies at the 2011 Austin Music Awards (Best Album, Song, Keys, Band, and Producer of the Year) and  are on the eve of their 2nd national tour of the summer. Did we mention that Jack received Best Bass Guitarist at the AMA’s as well?  After listening to TBLSH’s mix of rock & roll, funk, psychedelia, and soul it’s easy to understand why they’ve had such an incredible year – combine that with their infectious high voltage live shows and Jack’s signature moustache and you’re likely to lose control (or your pants as they sometimes do!) In case you missed their recent performances at KGSR’s Blues on the Green and Whitewater Amphitheater with Girl Talk, you can catch them on 8/28 at Hot Sauce Festival in Waterloo Park. Until then, check out their site and we'll see you on the dance floor...


1. Your moustache is pretty sweet and almost as famous as you...who is your facial hair inspiration? What spawned the 'stache?
 Burt Reynolds probably, that stache is always classy and sassy. Honestly, I just shaved myself a little moustache, as a joke really, and to my surprise my then-girlfriend didn't seem to mind. People started recognizing us as "that band with the guy with the moustache," so the guys urged me not to shave it. And now 2 years later we're very much part of each other, the moustache and I.

2. What are you wearing right now?
 Jean cutoffs and a thrift store T-shirt with the Coca-cola logo, but actually says "come caca" (Spanish for "eat poop")

3. TBLSH has had an incredible year, if you can relive one moment of it what would it be? 
  Oh man, great moments are passing all the time! Playing Blues on the Green to around 10,000 people would be a very tough one to beat.

4. What's the deal with TBLSH's lack of pants?
  Some people are born ready, but all people were born naked. We try to be both at all times.

5. Favorite item to wear...or not wear:
 I've always loved vintage short-shorts, and it's great that they've gone from "special ed" to "en vogue" so I make a lot more friends in them than I used to. Favorite to not wear? Anything else with my short-shorts.

6. What would it take for you to shave your moustache?
  A military draft maybe?

7. First record you owned:
 First record I owned: Boyz II Men - Cooleyhighharmony
 First record that owned me: Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute

8. What musician would you most want to meet?
  Keith Moon. He once ran himself over with his own car. Guy knew how to have a good time.

9. Brushes with greatness:
  Playing with Girl Talk was mucho exciting! He was very chill and we danced on stage for most of his set. Also, Todd Lewis of The Toadies was a huge idol of mine growing up, so I was thrilled to play a couple of shows with them. He's a great guy, total legend.

10. First concert ever:
  When I was 13 my mom dropped a few friends and I at Emo's to see this punk band Apocalypse Hoboken, but after getting in we found out they'd run out of money and bailed on their tour. We were the only ones in the entire club who stayed and watched the opening band, who hit me in the face with a broken drumstick. It's kind of a wonder I got so into live music.

11. First job/ worst job:
  The worst job I ever had was cutting fields of grass in 100 degree heat with only a machete at my grandparents bungalows in Puerto Escondido, Mexico. At least it was on the beach!

12. Favorite song by an Austin musician:
  "I"m Broke" by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears or "Will You Smile Again?" by ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead

13. What's on your iPod that would surprise us?
  N.W.A., 2 Live Crew and Public Enemy

14. What do you do if you have the blues? 
  Jump in the lake, the greenbelt, or Barton Springs!

15. What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago?
  Don't sweat the ladies, plenty more to come.

16. Something your mother always told you...
  "This is why we can't have nice things."

17. What's your earliest childhood memory?
  Eating fresh lox at the Jewish fish market in Brooklyn with my dad.

18. Boxers or briefs?
  I've had to switch from boxers after repeatedly ripping the crotches in half during performances. When we had a residency at Shakespeare's I once ripped the inseam of both my pants AND boxers. I had to angle my bass down to cover myself until the set break when I could turn my boxers backwards. Nowadays I prefer boxer-briefs.

19. What would you change about yourself?
  I'd like to make faster and more resolute decisions. I have a lot of respect for people with tattoos, such committment!

20. What work of literature has made an impact on you? 
  Paolo Coelho's The Alchemist. It's such a beautifully simple story that says so much about listening to your heart, following your dreams and that true love will never get in the way of those things.

For more on Jack, his 'stache, and the rest of the members of The Bright Light Social Hour, check out their hilarious videos and help them spread the word about their tour! Two words: Brick. Cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment